A lichen consists of two or more partners that live together symbiotically, with both of them benefitting from the alliance. One partner is a fungus termed as the mycobiont. While the other is either an algae, photobiont (usually green) or a cyanobacterium, sometimes called blue-green algae although it is more closely related to bacteria than algae. The algae or cyanobacterium is able to use sunlight to produce essential nutrients by photosynthesis that feeds both organisms. The fungus creates a foundation, known as a thallus, in which they both live. The fungus also produces chemical compounds that may act as sunscreen to protect its photosynthetic partner.
You are here
Each week, post your own Perfect Paragraph and comment on three Perfect Paragraphs. Suggest improvements. Don't just say "Looks good."
- a vs an 5 years 4 months ago
- introductory phrases 5 years 4 months ago
- what are SNP's 5 years 5 months ago
- proves 5 years 5 months ago
- broad term 5 years 5 months ago
- "As to be able to join this 5 years 5 months ago
- Who is 'they'? Try not to use 5 years 5 months ago
- Morrill should have two r's. 5 years 5 months ago
- explain humanities 5 years 5 months ago
- explanation 5 years 5 months ago