You are here

PP Abstract

Submitted by jnduggan on Tue, 10/09/2018 - 14:32


As a part of my Writing in Biology class in the Fall semester of 2018 at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, I conducted an experiment to test the reproducibility of a multipanel scientific figure based solely on the methods I wrote while conducting the experiment. In order to increase reproducibility, I sought to control as many variables as possible while creating my multipanel figure. While writing the METHODS section, I recorded my steps with detail to allow for simpler replication.  The results exhibited variation in areas such as the format of the figure itself, markings on the pictures within the figure, and the content of the pictures. The factors that caused the disparities include differing programs used to create the figure, differing conditions on the two days, and the original spider web no longer being available for photography. The original multipanel scientific figure was not reproduced exactly causing disparities between the replicate and original figure.



I would include some more information on the experiment. Additionally, the overall flow of the paragraph is very conversation-like. I would try to make it more scientific.