The mechanism controlling the interaction between Populus remuloides (aspen) and Abies laslocarpa (fir) is that of a facilitation relationship. Figure 3 shows that when there is less aspen, fir die significantly more. One reason may be due to fir being able to take over the stands much faster than they would be able to in the normal successional cycle. If fir are taking over faster, and more often then the case of fires is going to occur more. With more fires the cycle will begin again after both species get burnt down. Aspen will then arrive first, and if re-thinned will get taken over by fir again very quickly resulting in more frequent fires and a higher mortality rate for fir. The Aspen morality rate does not increase by a lot because by the time the fire occurs the plot is already overtaken by fir.
You are here
Each week, post your own Perfect Paragraph and comment on three Perfect Paragraphs. Suggest improvements. Don't just say "Looks good."
- Looks good! I think it would 4 years 5 months ago
- Looks good! It might be 4 years 5 months ago
- Looks good! Maybe add a 4 years 5 months ago
- Unless this was done in a 4 years 5 months ago
- Rather than saying your 4 years 5 months ago
- Clarification regarding comments 4 years 5 months ago
- I think the scientific names 4 years 5 months ago
- I would proofread for grammar 4 years 5 months ago
- I think the first comma in 4 years 5 months ago
- Well written paragraph. My 4 years 5 months ago
Introduce the concept of fires
You start the paragraph by explaining the relationship between aspen and firs and then write the sentence "If fir are taking over faster, and more often then the case of fires is going to occur more" which suddenly introduces the idea of fires. It may be better to introduce the concept of burns as it relates to the trees before going ahead and relating it to which species are growing faster and are more prevalent and how that affects the fire rates.
You should explain that aspen
You should explain that aspen and fir are kinds of trees and define what a successional cycle is.