This species has developed certain adaptations that allow it to succesfully enter the water at a high speed when diving. Its unusual beak-shaped mouth provides streamlining, which minimizes the impact against the surface and increases the chances of a successful hunt by avoiding excessive splashing that may scare away fish. Unlike most mammals, which have seven cervical vertebrae, this species has five cervical vertebrae and they are surrounded by thick layers of soft tissue. This gives the bat a shorter neck with a shock absorbing mechanism that greatly reduces the risk of injury when penetrating the water.
You are here
Each week, post your own Perfect Paragraph and comment on three Perfect Paragraphs. Suggest improvements. Don't just say "Looks good."
- Looks good! I think it would 7 months 1 week ago
- Looks good! It might be 7 months 1 week ago
- Looks good! Maybe add a 7 months 1 week ago
- Unless this was done in a 7 months 1 week ago
- Rather than saying your 7 months 1 week ago
- Clarification regarding comments 7 months 1 week ago
- I think the scientific names 7 months 1 week ago
- I would proofread for grammar 7 months 1 week ago
- I think the first comma in 7 months 1 week ago
- Well written paragraph. My 7 months 1 week ago