In the brain there are multiple different neural pathways that can affect hunger. But there are rare neurons, that when damaged, cause obesity. One such neuron is the MC4R neuron. This neuron signals for satiety. The POMC neuron excits it and tells the brain that it has enough energy, it doesn't have to eat anything else. The AGRP neuron inhibits the MC4R neuron which then signals for hunger. When the MC4R neuron is silences, the body weight phenotype of the mice tested was doubled. There are numerous experimental methods that can be used to silence the neurons such as rAAV virus to insert diolox sites into the genome of the mouse. This would allow you to insert receptors to specific toxins that not all of the cells have, such as diptherioa toxin or tetnis toxin receptors. By doing this, inserting the toxin into that area of the brain would kill only the cells that succesfully recieved the receptor, causing a loss of function. Loss of function experiments are extrelely useful in determining the function of a specific neuron or neural pathway.
You are here
Each week, post your own Perfect Paragraph and comment on three Perfect Paragraphs. Suggest improvements. Don't just say "Looks good."
- Narrative 11 months 2 weeks ago
- Plural 11 months 2 weeks ago
- avoiding the use of because to start a sentence 11 months 2 weeks ago
- spelling 11 months 2 weeks ago
- Replicate similar to original 11 months 2 weeks ago
- "Males" 11 months 2 weeks ago
- commas and misspelling 11 months 2 weeks ago
- wording 11 months 2 weeks ago
- unclear antecedent 11 months 2 weeks ago
- really good 11 months 2 weeks ago