Each consultant needs to be familiar with the software and hardware provided in the BCRC. Below is an outline of the skills identified for consultants to develop.
- Send email to the list ( email@example.com )
- Print successfully from a document that uses frames (like your transcript from Spire)
- Find every piece of equipment
- Make reservations
- Find every piece of software
- Use printer control scripts: https://bcrc.bio.umass.edu/printrelease/ to check printer queues or cancel jobs
- Post to your blog
- Post to the twitter feed
- Start-up X-windows and X-windows applications
- How to Force Quit if the system gets stuck 'loading forever'
- How to manage user accounts
- Make coffee
- Create and edit a simple document in txt format
- Create and edit a simple document in html ** Make a document ** Make headings ** Insert an image
- Find the list of shared file-systems
- Move a file from one machine to another via the network (using Scratch volume)
- Save a file to a net-private volume
- Find a file on the disk
- Save a file on an external device (flashdrive, etc)
- Burn a CD/DVD
- Translate a word-perfect file
- Compress a directory of files to make a zip file
- Change the password of a student account.
- Cogently explain the password changing process/rules
- Interpret whether or not the user has a Biology account
- know the combination for the door
- know the passwords for the local "bcrc", "bcrcstaff", and "radmind" accounts and when to log in as each.
- know to never ever give passwords to anyone and make people see the Director to get them.
Photoshop and gimp
- download imagery from a camera.
- Change image size
- Adjust levels
- Understand when to save as .xcf, Photoshop, PICT, tiff, or jpeg.
- Create a slide presentation
- Set-up a data projector
- Print slides in handout or notes view
Word and OpenOffice
- Create and use custom Styles
- Insert a picture
- Make a table
- Save as html or PDF
- Create a poster with Scribus
- Print a poster
Excel and R
- Make a histogram
- Make a scatter plot
- Draw a "best fit" line