EmploymentEmployment rootlet Tue, 01/15/2019 - 14:34
The minimum requirement for employment in the BCRC is to have a working knowledge of Macintosh computers. Students at the University of Massachusetts are encouraged to apply to the Director for positions that start at $12.00/hour with raises provided at the discretion of Director. Make sure to fill out a time slip indicating the hours you worked for the week so that your hours can be submitted and you can recieve your paycheck. Upon completing and documenting the training activities at the back of the staff manual, your pay will be increased by $0.50 per hour and you will receive a $0.25 per hour pay increase for each semester of service you complete after completing the training materials. You must complete the training materials by the end of the first semester of your employment to be eligible to continue at the BCRC.
Employees are expected to:
- Arrive to work in a timely fashion
- Present a professional aspect suitable for interacting with students, faculty, and staff
- Check their email regularly for updates regarding operations and procedures
- Follow the procedures outlined in this manual; and generally conform to the policies outlined in the UMass Academic Policies (http://www.umass.edu/umhome/policies.html) and the OIT Acceptable Use Policy (http://www.oit.umass.edu/policies.html). Failure to comply with these standards and guidelines may be grounds for suspension or dismissal.
It's your primary responsibility to monitor 311 Morrill III. Unlock the door when you arrive. Make sure both doors are closed and locked when you leave, if the facility will be unattended.
There are also basic tasks involved in running a computer lab:
- Clean and maintain the equipment as well as the room
- Replace printer paper
- Fix printer problems
- Answer questions
- Update schedules
- Flatten empty paper boxes and leave outside the room
- Empty hole-puncher
- Re-fill stapler or tape dispenser
It is most convenient for the consultant working Monday mornings to print out the weekly Reservation Schedule and post it on the door so that students may see what times classes will come in for the upcoming week.
It is the responsibility of each and every member of the staff to ensure that these tasks are done in a timely manner. If there is a mess on the desk or papers on the floor, clean it up. Everyone at the BCRC would not want to work in a dirty computer lab.
Occasionally, the BCRC will conduct staff meetings. At these meetings the Director will discuss changes and new directions in the BCRC. Staff input into the operation and management of the BCRC is always welcome. If you have questions or concerns, you are encouraged to bring them to the attention of the Director.
Staff are particularly encouraged to find and work on projects of interest to them. Please report regularly on your progress. If you have questions or need assistance, please keep the Director informed.