The larva I observed is approximately two centimeters long at rest; It is capable of shrinking and expanding its body to a considerable degree in both directions, varying in length from one centimeter when condensed, to approximately two and a half centimeters when expanded. Its body is segmented, beige in color, with a dark brown head region and little black hairs covering the dorsal side of its body. This organism has sixteen black feet, in eight pairs with two feet on each body segment. The pads of its feet seem capable of suction; they are able to hold the slivers of wood in the bottom of the cup on its feet when lifted in the air and then drop them. When first placed in the specimen cup, the larva was actively trying to escape, crawling around the bottom of the cup and up on the sides. After taking the larva out of the cup with no enclosed sides around it, the organism raised its torso to search for any additional surfaces that might be above it to grab on to. Finding none, it put its torso back down and began to crawl. The trunk of its body moves in a wave-like motion, using the very end of its body as support for pushing off of surfaces. The larva is also able to curl its head and posterior end together to form a circle with its body.
You are here
Each week, post your own Perfect Paragraph and comment on three Perfect Paragraphs. Suggest improvements. Don't just say "Looks good."
- Sounds like a cool experiment 3 days 2 hours ago
- I like the amount of 3 days 2 hours ago
- Comment 3 days 3 hours ago
- Good paragaph, your reasearch 3 days 3 hours ago
- You have good content in your 3 days 4 hours ago
- Sounds like a very 3 days 4 hours ago
- Pretty good paragraph! I 3 days 9 hours ago
- There was a nice way this 3 days 9 hours ago
- It seemed a bit like a stream 3 days 9 hours ago
- Comments 3 days 10 hours ago