This organism placed in front of me has very similar features to those of other larva I have seen, but I am unsure whether it is actually one. It is about 2 centimeters long, with its body making up nearly all of this length (i.e. head and feet are very small). I noticed that the front legs contribute the most to the movment of this organism, which causes the body to move as segments. Also, the back legs seem to be less involved in movement, and could be used for suction. I wanted to see how this larva-like creature would react under stress, so using my pencil, I pushed the organism onto its back. In this position, the organism was able to quickly and easily flip itself back over. Despite being strong enough to do this, it is still unable to climb up the sides of the cup, and spends most of its time around the edge of the cup rather than the middle. Lastly, I noticed the tips of its feet are black, which makes me wonder if they're used for gathering sensory information at all. The only other question I have is whether or not the objects placed with this organism are food or just miscellaneous objects from the container they were in. These objects look and feel wood-like, and have a fairly similar color as the organism. I wonder if this helps aid the organism in hiding.
You are here
Each week, post your own Perfect Paragraph and comment on three Perfect Paragraphs. Suggest improvements. Don't just say "Looks good."
- Sounds like a cool experiment 3 days 2 hours ago
- I like the amount of 3 days 2 hours ago
- Comment 3 days 3 hours ago
- Good paragaph, your reasearch 3 days 3 hours ago
- You have good content in your 3 days 4 hours ago
- Sounds like a very 3 days 4 hours ago
- Pretty good paragraph! I 3 days 9 hours ago
- There was a nice way this 3 days 9 hours ago
- It seemed a bit like a stream 3 days 9 hours ago
- Comments 3 days 10 hours ago