(1909) Vol. XII pp 11-13. Description and Key to the Genus CATABAPTA
[with links to specific associated adult figures]
Catabapta, Hulst, Bull. Brooklyn Ent. Soc.
vii. p. 49 (1884) .. Type. antinympha.
Proboscis fully developed; palpi upturned, the 2nd joint reaching to
about middle of frons and rather broadly sealed, the 3rd moderate and moderately
scaled; frons smooth, with tuft of hair above; eyes large, round; antennae
of male ciliated; thorax clothed with hair and hair-like scales, the pro-
and metathorax with slight, spreading crests, the mesothorax with small
paired crests; tibiae moderately fringed with hair and all the tibiae spined;
the mid tibiae of male dilated with a fold containing a tuft of long hair;
abdomen with dorsal ridges of hair and hairy crests on three basal segments.
Fore wing triangular, the apex rounded, the termen evenly curved, crenulate;
veins 3 and 5 from near angle of cell; 6 from upper angle; 9 from 10 anastomosing
with 8 to form the areole; 11 from cell. Hind wing with the cell about
one-third length of wing; veins 3 and 4 from angie of cell; 5 fully developed
from just above angle of cel1; 6, 7 from upper angle; 8 anastomosing with
the cell near base only.
KEY to the Catabapta
A. Hind wing black-brown.
- a. Fore wing with the ground-colour white, the reniform prominent,
red-brown defined by black ...........
- b. Fore wing with the ground-colour grey or brown.
- a1. Hind wing with the cilia dark except at apex
- a2 Fore wing pale brownish grey, the lines fine
- a3 Wings on underside white at base ......
- b3. Wings on underside not white at base orbs.
- b2. Fore wing darker, the lines stronger.
- a3. Fore wing with the inner area not suffused with black.
- a4 Fore wing with the postmedial line slightly excurved below vain
- b4. Fore wing with the postmedial line strongly excurved below vein
- b3. Fore wing with the inner area suffused with black..
- bl. Hind wing with the cilia white, chequered with brown at veins 6
- a2. Fore wing grey uniformly suffused with dark brown,
- a3. Fore wing without red-brown band beyond the postmedial line, the
subterminal line diffused .......
- b3. Fore wing with red-brown band beyond the postmedial line, the subterminal
line not diffused .....
- b2 Fore wing grey variegated with brown and black.
- a3. Fore wing with the ground-colour blue-grey.
- a4. Fore wing without curved black shade from costa beyond middle to
termen below apex.
- a5. Fore wing without oblique white shade from costa beyond the antemedia1
line to median nervure …
- b5 Fore wing with oblique white shade from costa beyond the antemedial
line to median nervure …
- b4. Fore wing with curved black shade from costa beyond middle to termen
- a5 Fore wing with blackish shade in submedian interspace. …
- b5 Fore wing without blackish shade in submedian interspace ......
- b3 Fore wing -white tinged with red-brown.
- a4. Fore wing with oblique black shade from termen below apex.
- a5. Fore wing with the antemedial line double filled in with white
- b5. Fore wing with the antemedial line single and faintly defined on
inner side by whitish ........
- b4. Fore wing without oblique black shade from termen below apex ...........
B. Hind wing yellow.
- a. Fore wing with the postmedial line excurved below costa but not
angled outwards above vein 5 ..........
- b. Fore wing with the postmedial line bent outwards below costa and
angled outwards above vein 5.
- a1. Fore wing on underside with the basal half suffused with yellow,
the postmedial band whitish; hind wing with the costal area whitish ......
- b1. Fore wing on underside with the basal area and postmedial band
yellow; hind wing with the costal area ochreous.
- a2. Hind wing deep orange-yellow.
- a3. Fore wing nearly uniform deep red-brown .........
- b3. Fore wing almost entirely suffused with grey .....
- b2. Hind wing brighter golden yellow.
- a3. Fore wing with prominent dark band beyond the postmedial line ...
- b3. Fore wing without prominent dark band beyond the postmedial line.
- a4. Fore wing nearly uniform black-brown.
- a5. Fore wing with the lines distinct ............... antinympha
- b5. Fore wing with the lines almost obsolete .... denussa.
- b4. Fore wing nearly uniform fuscous brown ..............
- c4. Fore wing nearly uniform grey-brown
- d4. Fore wing much more variegated and not nearly uniform in colour.
- a5. Fore wing with the basal area strongly suffused with black ....
- b5. Fore wing with the basal area not strongly suffused with black.
- a6. Fore wing almost entirely suffused with red brown ..
- b6. Fore wing much more variegated with white and grey.
- a7. Fore wing with the basal area darker than the ground-colour .....
- b7. Fore wing with the basal area not darker than the ground-colour.
- a8. Fore wing strongly suffused with white.
- a9. Fore wing with the postmedial line strongly angled outwards above
and below vein 5 ..........
- b9. Fore wing with the postmedial line slightly angled outwards above
and below vein 5 .......
- b8. Fore wing slightly suffused with white.
- a9. Fore wing not tinged with olive .......
- b9. Fore wing tinged with olive ...... euphemia.
7129. Catabapta sappho. (Plate CXCII. fig. 1.)
Catocala sappho, Streck. Lep. Rhop. & Het. p. 95,
pl. xi. f. 4 (1874); Smith, Cat. Noct. N. Am. p. 352.
Male. Head and thorax white irrorated with red-brown; palpi with the
2nd and 3rd joints dark brown towards tips; tegulae with red-brown lines
at, middle and near tips; fore and mid tibiae and the tarsi banded with
blackish; abdomen reddish brown with some whitish at, base and in anal
tuft, the ventral surface white. Fore wing white sparsely irrorated with
brown; subbasal line black, angled outwards below costa and ending at submedian
fold; ante-medial line very indistinct, double filled in wit;h white, the
outer line with large black-brown spot at costa, then oblique to sub-median
fold and slightly angled inwards on median nervure, incurved at vein 1;
reniform very large and irregularly rounded,
Last revised by JGK 10/10/96