The steps to scanning transparency slides are as followed:
1. Place Slides onto the scanner starting with the bottom left corner, and continuing to the right with a good amount of space in between. They do not all have to be in the same row.
2.Open Applications on the Macintosh HD, and look for VueScan.
3. Under Input-
Make sure scan resolution is 1600dpi, Mode is on
Transparancy, and Preview Resolution is on 200dpi.
Make sure the profile checked is TIFF
All other options should already be on the right setting.
4. Scan in the slides.
5. Select a slide, and use the cursor to crop the image with a little bit of the black edges to make sure you have the full image.
6. Click Scan (Don't worry about the window that pops up of the image, you can exit out of it)
7. Repeat until all transparencies have been scanned in.
8. Go to Pictures in Macintosh HD, and the scans should be there. Right click the space under the scanned photos to create a new file. Name them Scans-XXXXXX, the X's will be the first five numbers that every scan has in common. (After the first round have been scanned in, you may need to adjust the name to make sure they are different. Increase the number +1)
9. Open Scratch on the Desktop, and drag the new folder over.
10. Later you could go into GIMP to edit the photos.